Friday, May 13, 2011

Laundry Room


Laundry Room Makeover Part 2…

This is where we left off in my last post…..a single board on the wall!


DSCN4979

I asked if anyone had a guess as to what I was doing with that piece of wood on the wall, and Patti from Crystal Rose Cottage and Deborah from Fairfield House, guessed a wainscoting of some type …and they were right!  I’m doing board and batten in here! 
I started out with the top piece.   I made sure it was nice and level with my handy dandy level!  I actually put it up and took it down because it looked crooked. Come to find out my ceiling has a slight uphill slant so it was level after all……..I re-installed it. LOL
I put the top piece at 66” high because it just “felt” right and I also wanted to make sure I missed any light switches and laundry room hoses etc.
DSCN4977

I started with my vertical boards next…this required a little math. I determined I wanted my boards about 12” apart, so I took the width of my wall (79”) and subtracted the width of each board (times the number of boards I was going to use on that wall, which was 4) from that length, which was 10” (width of 4 boards) and it left 69”.   Then I determined that putting up four boards would leave five spaces between them, so I divided the 69” by 5 and it came out to be about 13 1/2” between each board.   BUT, if math isn’t your thing, you could just tape the boards up and see where you like the spacing and adjust that way. (probably easier than math!)


DSCN4982

I used my level to make sure the vertical boards were level as well.
DSCN4981


I taped up some of the boards to make sure they were spaced the way I wanted them visually…yep, they looked good!



DSCN4983


I started to nail.  OH, before I finalized my spacing, I used a stud finder to find all the studs in my walls and it happened that the way I wanted them spaced, they were going to hit a stud every time! Now this is highly unusual, so if you don’t hit studs, you can use a tube of Loctite or liquid nail adhesive.



DSCN4991


I actually used Loctite on the walls where there was 220 electrical outlets and water pipes…sure didn’t want to nail into either of those!  NEVER nail into walls with high voltage electricity or water pipes..you’re just asking for trouble!

DSCN4987

This is what Loctite looks like and how you should apply it…..squiggly lines down you boards.  You apply it with a caulking gun.


loctite power grab...squiggle line

This is what I did to keep the boards up while the adhesive was drying….. good old fashion taped!


glued around plumbing areas

So this is where I am… board and batten on three walls.
Wanna know what’s going on the fourth wall??



DSCN4991


Stay tuned to my next post, I’ll be showing you what I’ll be doing with these…. (there’s two of them)  Don’t be scared, they won’t stay this way…you know what I do to old cabinets! Oh, if you’re new to my blog and don’t know what I do with old cabinets..you can go HERE!

Habitat re-store cabinet $25.00 BEFORE pic
I CAN’T wait to show you how this is turning out!!
Have a great day!
Missy

7 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

ohhh, your luandry room is going to be gorgeous... cause I know you can work magic on those cabinets!
gail

Gail said...

Wow! I'm impressed! You are doing a great job! It's good to know that you live so close. I might be calling on you for my next project! It's gonna look great. Looking forward to seeing the next reveal. Gail

Granny said...

The board and batten looks great. Can't wait to see the big cabinet reveal.

Marilyn said...

You get so much accomplished-you are my inspiration and hope that someday I will be as good at this kind of thing as you are! Keep sharing-it makes my day (in a good way!). ♥♫

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is looking great, Missy! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Cindy said...

Cool!!! This is going to look so great! Can't wait to see it all finished!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

It has great bones...may "borrow this idea for my poor laundry room...Your work is so much better than mine and so lovely...can't wait for the reveal...much love and admiration, Jules1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...