Friday, May 20, 2011

Laundry Room Part THREE!


Hey Ya’ll!!

I’m SO excited to get to this post because my laundry room is starting to look SO different!  (and it’s definitely in a good way!)

Remember my last post where I showed you these??  (please ignore my messy garage….it’ll get cleaned out when it ever decides to get warm around here!)


Habitat re-store cabinet $25.00 BEFORE pic

There’s two of the cabinets…and they sure don’t look like THAT anymore!
I bought them at our local Habitat for Humanity restore for $25.00 each.  Not too bad because they’re solid wood. (not particle board like so many of the cabinets you see today!)
Anyway……I started the process of revamping the cabinets by sanding the bejeebers out of them with my trusty Black and Decker sander! It cut all the old gunk off, plus gave my cabinets some “tooth” so the primer would grip and not scratch off later. (and no they didn’t give me a sander for saying that..I just really love my black and decker tools!)



This is my priming area…yep, the laundry room floor…doesn’t matter if I get paint on it or not, cause I’m changing it out very soon! (and yes, I’ll show you how to lay your own floor!)

I used Kilz 2 as my primer…it’s nice and thick and covers like a dream! I also discovered how much I LOVE these little tiny rollers…I’ll never go back to those fat ones again!  These don’t splatter and they give such a nice smooth finish!


skinny paint roller ROCKS!

Here are the cabinets after a couple of coats of primer……
Habitat re-store cabinets after primer and some paint

I thought the shape of the doors were cute and love that they have the look of beadboard inside them!

DSCN5008

After I primed, I painted the cabinets with a couple of coats of Olympic Premium Semi-gloss in a bright white.

olympic, semi-gloss ultra White paint

Then I started the installation of the cabinets on the wall. (after the paint had dried for a day or two of course!).  I determined where I wanted my cabinets to hang and screwed them into the wall into studs.  My son, Lincoln, held the cabinets up while I screwed them to the wall.  That was the only help I had in this whole room! Yay me!  (if any of you have kids, you might remember the Suite life of Zack and Cody on Disney..well that was my impression of London Tipton!)
Smile
cabinets installed 43" from the ceiling (30" high cabinets)

After getting the cabinets up, I started adding my board and batten on this side too…..

cabinets

Man oh man, did I ever luck out and hit studs on every single piece of wood.. (that will never happen again in a million years!) Like I said before though, you can always use a construction adhesive if you’re not blessed enough to hit studs in your room.
Here the board and batten is all up and given a couple of coats of the same bright white paint as the cabinets. (I made sure the two pieces of board and batten in the center were equal distance from the cabinets…I fudged the numbers everywhere else, so those two pieces could be centered.
DSCN5015

Ok..see this little bag….


DSCN5024

It holds these little braces.  They are actually meant for chairs to help make them sturdy, but they make the best little brackets for shelves if you’re able to put them up on three sides…..
chair braces as shelving brackets

See, I installed the brackets on the walls and also on the sides of the cabinets to hold up my shelf….
DSCN5027

Here’s one shelf all installed. OH, before I forget to tell you, this shelf was installed on top of the board and batten board, so I made the next shelf that goes above it a little wider  so they would stick out the same amount.
addition of first shelf

Here are both shelves installed……….
DSCN5030

In this picture I am showing you that I made the shelves sit back from the front edge of the cabinets a little so I would have room to add some nice trim to trim out the front edge of the shelves. I always try to plan out my whole project on paper and think of these kinds of things before I start cutting, it’s so much easier to plan ahead than to fix something later!

set edge of shelf back enough for trim


Here is my trim work all put in place…I actually used Loctite to install this so I wouldn’t have any nail holes showing…..

DSCN5034

OK…that is where we stand today!  I’ll be installing the doors and floors next, so stay tuned!


Have a great day!
Missy

18 comments:

Granny said...

Your cabinets look awesome. The open shelves look great with that front trim. I'm impressed with the handywoman work you do.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

What a transformation! I love it! My laundry room/mud room is pretty blaw and is on my 'gotta reno' list. You have inspired me. I'd love to do B&B too! So clean and fresh!

Jen said...

Looks great! I love the doors on the cabinets-much better white :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Looking great so far! I am impressed(as usual).~Hugs, Patti

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

woohooo! it's looking so fabulous! Lots of great tips too Missy! I love those skinny rollers because there is a LOT less waste of paint going down the drain (bad) or in the garbage (worse).
Anxious to see it all come together.
gail

Kelly said...

Wow you are so handy!!

Jill said...

So pretty - I love board and batten!

The Old Cupboard Door said...

Your laundry room is looking fabulous. Can't wait to see the finished work. I love the board and batton and am using it in my dining room. Never thought about using it in a laundry room...great idea!

~willa~

Aledia said...

Looking good!! :)

Cindy said...

This is AMAZING! I'm loving watching your project. Those little cabinets are adorable, and they do have the best shape with their little curve on the front. I love the board and batten look. Can't wait to see what you do with the floors. It's so cool to me that you are doing this all yourself. I don't think i would every be able to plan all that out, with all the details! But, believe me, i'm taking all this in!

Cindy

Susan said...

Missy your laundry is looking great!!

Jen said...

ooh! looking Fabulous Missy! can't wait to see the finished results! Hope you are well!
Jen xoxo

Alison @ Under the Big Oak Tree said...

Oh my goodness! I am sooo very impressed! I just got the courage up to paint the baseboards in my house after waiting more than a year for my painter father to do it for me! I'm not sure I'd have the courage to take on a project like this! I have to go check out part one and two of your laundry room transformation!

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting me Under the Big Oak Tree!

Donna said...

That looks great! I would love to add board and batten to my laundry room. I did just finish the board and batten in our living room (minus the window)... But the biggest wall is done!
My blog will be up and running with photos soon :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my goodness........you are MY kind of chickie.... AMAZING... I'm gong to come back to see the finished project. It's just lovely so far. LOVE it.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Missy -- thanks for popping by my blog earlier!

I have a question for you about your B&B. My house has rounded corners throughout. How would you suggest dealing with them if I want to do board and batten? My baseboards are squared off but just before the baseboards start the corners are squared off too. I just don't want it looking wonky. Should I just plan to not have a vertical piece on a corner? There are only 2 rounded corners in my laundry room. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Laurie (who is hopefully one step closer to B&B in her laundry room). :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Missy, this is looking SO wonderful! I am so impressed with you, girl! Can't wait to see more!

c.w.frosting said...

The fresh coat of paint looks gorgeous so far! Looking forward to the final room!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...